Thursday, July 8, 2010

To WWoof or not to WWoof?

Welcome to my first blog post about my travel adventures. I have been planning this trip for 10 months now and it has evolved from my preliminary ideas. With working for the school system I have the luxury of having the summer off, and have always had a love of traveling and a desire to do more. One of my other loves in life is volunteering and I really wanted to do a bit of that on my trip. Originally I was going to volunteer in Romania at an orphanage... well that cost $3000 for 3 weeks. A bit pricey in my mind. Back to Google.

I set out to plan this trip with the eventual goal of ending up in Provence to help Dad & Bonnie celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary along with 20 friends and family. I spent a lot of time trying to find organizations to volunteer for and applied at several. From a camp for adults with spina bifida to a childrens cancer camp, to a lighthouse in Northern Ireland cataloging birds. Apparently I am not the only person that loves to volunteer and they were all full.

Then I happened upon the term WWoof. Not just a noise that Rufus and Olive make when defending their homestead! The more I read about it the more it interested me. I have never spent time on a farm, but I do love a farmers market and I do love pushing my boundaries to go outside of my comfort zone. WWoofing certainly is that!

WWOOF: The Movie Trailer from Ashley Terry on Vimeo.



The link above is a video about WWoofing that I found to be really inspiring. Thus I am WWoofing on 3 farms in Ireland. After WWoofing I will be spending some time traveling around Ireland and then travel to France. This is a long trip, 65 days to be exact and I am not quite sure what I have gotten myself into, but I look forward to the experience of learning about new things and getting to know myself and others more in the process.

I have 2 days before I leave and am spending as much time with my pups as possible because I am going to miss them dearly. Also Grammy's 75th birthday is tomorrow so I will be helping her celebrate in style!

I hope you enjoy this blog and reading about my travels and will try to keep exclamation points to a minimum. Try being the key word.

7 comments:

  1. Way to go. I look forward to many updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for this. I knew you were going traveling but had no idea for how long, where or what you were going to be doing. I am just a little more than envious. You are going to have an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we'll be tracking you...travel safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Jessica, you're in for quite an experience I'm sure! I look forward to the posts from exotic places ;-) WWOOF on! Safe travels, Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog is such a great idea! Can't wait to follow along on your adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jess! WOW...sounds like your summer adventure is off to a wonderful start. Look forward to following you on the blog. Be safe! Hugs, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very proud of you,volunteering is most definitely part of your heritage and so glad you have a natural passion for it!! You go ahead and use as many exclamation points as you want in blogging about your amazing adventures! We're all so very proud and happy for you and with you in Spirit!!

    ReplyDelete