Saturday, August 28, 2010

It's Not Easy Being Green...

Rather than continue with the “We did this, then we did that….” I have to go on a rant here.

Having just finished the book “Sleeping Naked is Green” this has encouraged my green pondering. Said book is about a woman who is not really green at all who decides to change her life after watching “An Inconvenient Truth.” She decides to make one green change per day for a year from turning off her fridge to selling her car. Obviously those are huge changes but she also makes small ones like using handkerchiefs instead of Kleenex and all natural makeup. This book was great, put a human touch on the challenge one takes on in being “green.” As a somewhat new “greenie” I could totally relate to her book. The challenges one faces when a lifestyle shift is made, and the guilt associated with it. For example in public bathrooms, should I use paper towels or the hand dryer? The woman in the book decided to forgo both, which is what I am trying to do, but darn it all those paper towels feel so good!

Trash. Many of you that know me know that I pick up trash on a regular basis when walking around my neighborhood. But on this trip I have seen such inordinate amounts of trash like in Cork, I didn’t even start picking it up as I knew I wouldn’t be able to carry it all. Every time I pass by a piece of trash on the street I question “Should I pick that up? How dirty do you think it is? Is it recyclable? Will a fish be eating it soon? When will I be able to wash my hands again?” All this over a piece of trash. Sometimes I just walk on by because it is so exhausting and I know once I start, I can’t stop. When I was hiking with my Swiss friend Rachel we started picking up trash, before you knew it we had three bags worth. Then once the bags are full we encounter, do we keep picking it up? What about cigarette boxes that have been rained on? I know the plastic won’t biodegrade but the paper will.

Also what about all of these people in France and Ireland that blatantly toss their cigarette butts in front of me? I have only picked up one, but the ferry driver on Rathlin Island that tossed his butt into the water still haunts me. Obviously I am not going to say anything to people in both countries as it is not my country but it drives me crazy! Maybe I should start an ad campaign with a fish eating a cigarette butt? Think that would stop people? Side note: As I am uploading this at the one internet cafe the cafe owner just tossed his butt on the sidewalk. Ahhhhhh!

Traveling and maintaining ones “green” habits is tough. I still have not figured out how to say “no bag” en francais but I manage a “no sac pas” and they seem to get it. Although yesterday Grammy and I went to a shop advertised as “The Fruitstand” where you are not allowed to touch any of the fruit, you tell the woman what you want and she gets it. She put everything in individual bags! I was going crazy! Obviously I had my cloth sacks but this is the way they do it here.

Today we went to the farmers market and it was plastic bags abound. This happens as well in the farmers markets back at home, and it may be my personal mission to stop it. I know some of you out there are saying “We use them as poop bags.” But poop bags do not biodegrade, thus the greener option is to carry cloth produce sacks and buy cornstarch biodegradable poop bags.

Also the availability of recycling here and in Ireland is pretty disappointing. When we asked the gentleman who we are renting the apartment from where to take the recycling he basically instructed us to wander around town until we find a recycling receptacle which are few and far between. Thus as is the case in many cities one really has to be proactive in their recycling. I thought Europeans were so progressive, looks like my stereotype is just that. A stereotype.

Grammy’s thoughts on being green:
“A lot of work. Causing one to be on the alert and rethink purchases, attitudes, and actions. Being green when traveling requires a great deal of planning before leaving, i.e. reusable plastic containers rather than plastic bags, cloth handkerchiefs instead of paper napkins, and repackaging all of your green products at home to bring with you. I am tired just thinking about this. I have to redo my whole travel checklist, eliminating a lot of things and substituting it with green products. Learn to say ‘No sac, no bags’ in whatever language. Add it to the list of things to learn with ‘Where’s the toilet.’ ”

This experience has really helped me to appreciate my co-op back home. There I have the luxury of not thinking about what I am buying as all of it is organic. Here in the grocery stores I have yet to see any organics. Also once you get used to eating organic boy can you tell a difference. The farm in Northern Ireland had the most amazing delicious produce, and I miss it! People talk about smug environmentalists pushing their ideals on everyone, but it is hard when you read information like how root vegetables carry a higher amount of pesticides like DDT, and then you see your friends and family buying them because the price is right. Where is the balance? Why isn’t our government watching over our health like it should instead of people with the most money like Monsanto?

Irregular rant is over, just know it is not easy being green.

No comments:

Post a Comment